Chicken cacciatore is a low-fat and low carbohydrate dish. You have the flexibility to alter this chicken cacciatore recipe to your palate or adapt it to a healthier dish. Opt for boneless, skinless chicken breasts and even skinless thighs. You can also use non-stick cooking spray or a small amount of olive oil for browning the chicken.
Chicken thighs and drumsticks are lightly browned and simmered for 15 minutes with a bed of red onion, tomatoes, garlic, rosemary and thyme herbs, white wine, chicken stock, black olives and capers to bring out the flavors and to allow the chicken meat to become falling-off-the-bone tender. The cooked chicken and thickened sauce then poured over a bed of freshly cooked fettuccine, linguine or pasta to serve. This hearty and tasty meal is suitable for a chilly autumn or winter day.
4 chicken leg portions
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red onion, peeled and cut into very thin wedges
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
sprig of fresh thyme
sprig of fresh rosemary
150ml / 1/4 pint dry white wine
200ml / 7 fl oz chicken stock
400g can chopped tomatoes
40g / 1 1/2 black olives, pitted
15g / 1/2 oz capers, drained
salt and freshly ground black pepper
freshly cooked fettuccine, linguine or pasta shells
- Skin the chicken portions and cut each one into two pieces to make four thighs and four drumsticks.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a flameproof casserole and cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Remove the chicken from the pan and reserve.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil to the juices in the pan. Add the red onion and gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes until soft and beginning to brown. Return the chicken to the pan.
- Add the herbs, then pour in the wine and let it bubble for 1-2 minutes. Add the stock and tomatoes, cover and gently simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the olives and capers. Cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the sauce thickened. Remove the herbs and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on a bed of pasta, allowing one thigh and one drumstick per person. Spoon over the sauce and serve.
Healthy Chicken Cacciatore Recipe