Acid reflux sufferers who are looking for remedies and cures should consider reducing the fat in their diet. One of the lowest fat cooking oils is made from the macadamia nut. Did you know that the macadamia is the only major commercial food crop that is native to Australia and named after John Macadam, M.D., once Secretary of the Philosophical Institute of Victoria. Macadam died on a ship on his way to taste the nut named for him.
Today macadamia nuts are grown commercially in many other regions of the world such as Hawaii, Mexico, South Africa, Brazil and Florida. Macadamia nut trees love rich, volcanic soils, sub-tropical climate and much rain. The native tree produces a nut with an extremely hard shell.
Here are 6 benefits of macadamia nut oil for acid reflux sufferers:
- Helps reduce the production of trans fatty acids.
- Has a naturally high smoke point (400-450°) which makes it a very versatile cooking oil. Olive oil has become popular in the last few years for its beneficial qualities, however macadamia nut oil has a much higher smoke point and doesn’t lose its nutritional value at really high temperatures.
- Has a 1:1 ratio of Omega-3 and Omega-6 oils and also contains antioxidants. Proponents of macadamia nut oil point to studies showing that switching to this oil lowers the risk indicators for heart disease.
- Macadamias have in the past been more expensive than other nuts because of the environment in which they thrive plus the difficulties of the hard shell. New varieties have been engineered to produce softer shells and combined with expanded locales and production, prices have dropped dramatically.
- Good oils like macadamia nut oil can help you feel full longer which in turn reduces the tendency to keep eating and thus may prevent acid reflux symptoms from developing.
- Has a long shelf life and can be ordered online if not available in your local store.
Avoiding fat altogether is not necessarily the answer for acid reflux sufferers. Macadamia nut oil is a smart alternative for adding the right kind of fat to your diet.
Macadamia Nut Oil – 6 Benefits For Acid Reflux Sufferers