Pasta can be a healthy inclusion in a balanced diet. The pasta itself will not contribute to an unhealthy meal but the sauces we choose to make can if we do not make good choices. Sauces that are heavy with thick cream are not good for those individuals on low fat diets. Consider using healthier olive oils and mixing it up with different flavours and spice blends for a tantalising taste of flavours from around the world.
I personally only eat gluten free pasta and I try to limit this to once a week. I do not follow a low fat diet as I believe good fats are actually beneficial in assisting with weight loss and maintaining a healthy body. So when I cook pasta as a main meal I then use the leftovers for snacks (when there are any leftovers!)
I like to try out different flavoured olive oils as a very simple sauce for my pasta. For example you could try these three flavours:
1. Thai Inspired Olive Oil – Thai-inspired extra virgin olive oil with lemongrass, garlic, basil, lime and chilli.
2. Mediterranean Olive Oil – Mediterranean basil, garlic, pepper, thyme and lemon in extra virgin olive oil.
3. Picante Mexican Olive Oil – Mexican-inspired extra virgin olive oil with garlic, chilli, lime, basil, pepper and thyme.
These oils alone will add amazing flavour to plain pasta. Imagine what you could do with adding some herb and/or spices too. Plain, boring past no more!
I think that the combination of a herb and spice blend with a flavoured oil, some fresh seasonal vegetables, pasta and the addition of chicken strips would be just heavenly and healthy too.
There are three blends I could recommend you find:
1. A Moroccan blend – works beautifully with cooked lentils, chickpeas or fresh vegetables.
2. A Mediterranean blend – when mixed with risotto rice and chicken or to flavour proteins, couscous and vegetables it is just fantastic.
3. A Tunisian style blend – a medium-hot blend with nuts, inspired by harisa to mix with lentils, chick peas and vegetables.
There are many combinations of oils, herb, spices and ingredients you can use to add variety to your meals and include healthy pasta options.
Take your tastebuds on an international taste travel sensation!
Check the products you use contain no added MSG, preservatives or gluten for a healthier you. A great inclusion for any pantry wanting to sample foods as flavoured from all over the world.
Tips for Adding Herbs and Seasoning to Pasta for a Healthy Snack